Summer Time Satisfaction! Who wants to be stuck in a kitchen on a beautiful summer day? This fresh dish is a fusion of Mexican, French, and California cuisine; yet so easy to cook for a group of friends or a romantic dinner for two.
TortillaLand® flour tortillas are the heart of this easy and elegant meal that is sure to please your family and guests. Not only is this dish pleasing to the eye, each bite is a delightful mouth watering experience for all. Bon Appétit!
Shrimp and Avocado Tortillas with Lemon Béchamel and Chives
30 min to make
Note: Béchamel sauce is also known as white sauce and is one of the mother sauces of French cuisine. Source:Wikipedia.com
- 8 TortillaLand® Flour Tortillas
- Medium Shrimp Peeled and Deveined- tail off, 24oz
- 2 large Avocados
- 4 tablespoons of Butter
- 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons of Flour
- 2 Limes
- 2 Lemons
- 2 Serrano Peppers
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 2 cups of Whole Milk or Half and Half
- Bunch of Cilantro
- Cherry Tomatoes
1. Rinse shrimp for a few minutes and allow to dry. While you are waiting, slice one lemon and one lime in half put aside- make one tablespoon of lemon zest (the yellow skin-chopped fine). Slice the other lime and lemon for garnish. Chop cilantro and cut Serrano peppers and scrape the seeds out (with a spoon) and chop fine.
2. In a pan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter with 2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium high heat until foaming. Add garlic and shrimp, cook until shrimp is pink. Remove from heat.
3. In another pan melt 2 tablespoons of butter with 2 tablespoons of flour on medium high heat to make a roux. Cooking flour and butter until blond (not brown), about 4-5 minutes. Add milk slowly at first whisking all the while then add all the milk and turn the heat to medium and continue to whisk often.
4. Add the juice from lemon and lime to shrimp and add the Serrano peppers.
5. Cook tortillas on medium high in a non-stick pan, set in warm towel. Flip the tortilla to cook both sides, the tortilla will bubble and form pockets of steam, use caution when handling hot tortillas.
6. Add the cilantro to the shrimp- two big handfuls. Cut your Avocado wash your tomatoes.
7. When the Béchamel is thick and creamy; add a tablespoon of lemon zest.
8. To plate the dish: put 1/4 of a sliced avocado in 1 tortilla and spoon 1/8 of the shrimp mix over the avocado. Spoon 1/8 of the béchamel sauce on top, and close. Garnish with cherry tomatoes, lemons, limes, and fresh chives. Repeat for 8 tortillas and enjoy!